It is somewhat accepted by some scientists that intestinal health profoundly influences whole body health. However, the efficiency of the digestive system depends extensively upon the complex interaction and balance of the intestinal ecology. This ecology is composed of approximately 400 different types of “friendly” and “unfriendly” bacteria which, collectively, exceed the number of living cells on the surface of the body. Such “friendly” bacteria, essential to intestinal health, are known as probiotics.
Probiotics perform many functions: they alter the metabolism of “unfriendly” micro-organisms without affecting other “friendly” microorganisms present in the intestine; discourage pathology by competing with pathogens for adhesion receptor sites on the intestinal wall (often essential to the successful colonization of the intestine by pathogenic organisms); stimulate the immune system by increasing antibody levels and improving macrophage activity; help the body resist infections, particularly in the gastrointestinal tract; and act as the main contributors to the effective elimination of waste material from the small intestine and colon. Approximately 70% of a healthy adult’s stool is composed of bacteria.
Our modern environment presents additional challenges that can adversely affect the intestinal tract, e.g., stress, antibiotics, contaminated food and water, environmental pollutants and chemicals, and even excessive hygiene. For instance, disinfectants can interfere with a balanced intestinal flora, especially in infants and children. Emotional stresses such as grief, and all those typically described as strong negative emotions, can also drastically alter or destroy its protective flora.
Probiotic supplementation can help reestablish the natural microflora and restore the body’s ability to resist disease, help neutralize toxins in the intestine, and suppress specific groups of unfriendly micro-organisms by producing anti-bacterial and perhaps anti-fungal substances.
Protec meets all the preferred criteria for an effective probiotic; it is an exceptional supplement for general maintenance as well as for re-establishing “friendly” flora after taking antibiotics. It is nonpathogenic, nontoxic, and present as viable organisms in large numbers (though the minimum effective dose is not known). It is capable of surviving and metabolizing in the intestinal environment, i.e., it is resistant to low pH and organic acids and other anti-bacterial influences in the intestine.
Protec is stable and capable of remaining viable for at least three years and does not have to be kept under refrigeration. Since it can be stored at room temperature for long periods and taken at any time, it is ideal for domestic or foreign travels.
Protec contains four specific compatible forms of microflora raised together. The exact strain of each of the following species is a trade secret:
- Lactobacillus acidophilus: This specific genus of lactobacillus is documented to have high implant levels in the intestinal tract. During its growth phase, it produces DL-lactic acid as well as the enzyme amylase (a carbohydrate-digesting enzyme).
- Lactobacillus casei: This genus of lactobacillus is documented to have a wide pH and temperature range and complements the growth of lactobacillus acidophilus. It also produces DL-lactic acid and amylase.
- Bifido bacterium bifidum: This organism is highly susceptible to environmentally induced stress and does not survive well in most other probiotic products. It is usually found in the intestine and is also naturally introduced in mother’s milk during nursing; it is essential for newborn babies as it provides support against Candida albicans overgrowth which leads to diaper rash, colic, thrush, and other conditions. For most people, adequate levels of this organism in the intestine will eliminate the major causes of intestinal distress and diarrhea when traveling abroad.
- Streptococcus faecium: This is a fiber-loving bacterium with similar attributes to lactobacillus casei. It appears to participate in the liberation and fermentation of lignan from plant lignin. Lignans are a group of compounds that have been documented as having powerful anti-tumor and antioxidant activities. It has also been shown that certain lignan constituents have an adverse affect on breast cancer cells.
These microflora, which are grown on a base of milk powder for solubility, also have an appropriate amount of dextrose to feed their rapid replication in the intestine with no significant contribution to lactose intolerance or changes in blood sugar after swallowing. They are associated with the enzymes cellulase and lipase. Cellulase assists in the breakdown of the carbohydrates found in cellulose, and lipase helps break down the lipids found in different food structures.
These constituents help provide nourishment to the flora and encourage maximum proliferation of each species. If kept at room temperature, full potency at one billion organisms per gram is guaranteed for three years (after date of packaging). Protec is not affected by stomach acid and is activated in the moist alkaline environment of the intestine. It may be taken with or without food and does not have to be refrigerated.
With ample scientific evidence that complex microbial flora in the human gastrointestinal tract are not only effective in providing resistance to disease but also increase the body’s efficiency to utilize nutrients in food, probiotic supplementation can be very helpful to help reestablish health in the body’s internal environment. The administration of an effective probiotic can support the body in restoring its natural intestinal microflora and enable the benefits of a healthy and vitally competent digestive system. This product is excellent for general maintenance and for anyone who has ever been on antibiotics or who has elimination or digestion problems. Two tablespoons with water has been reported as effectively working well with Diverticulitis.
Recommended dosages to begin as an addition to the daily diet:
• 2 teaspoons per day for 1 week
• 1/2 teaspoon per day for 4 weeks
• 1/4 teaspoon per day maintenance
NOTE: Take an increased amount following any period of extreme stress, including grief.